Shaping the future through innovation and discovery!
With a history spanning more than seven decades, Communications & Power Industries’ thousands of products have impacted people’s lives in numerous unseen ways every day. Our highly engineered products serve as the backbone of modern-day commercial and military communications systems, aid in the treatment of cancer, assist in diagnosing medical conditions, support and protect soldiers, sailors, and pilots, empower scientific discoveries and space exploration, help ensure the safety of imported foods and materials, and much more.
CPI is headquartered in Palo Alto, California and is a global manufacturer of electronic components and subsystems. We have manufacturing locations in the United States, Canada, Europe, and Asia. With a heritage of technological excellence, our team serves customers in the communications, defense, medical, industrial, and scientific markets.
YOUR DAY TO DAY:
We are seeking an Engineering Manager to join our multi-disciplined design engineering team. The selected candidate will play a pivotal role in enabling effective communication, collaboration, and execution within our engineering department. You will serve as the vital link between CPI’s Engineering and Business Management and our individual team members: facilitating the smooth flow of information, setting priorities, and ensuring that our engineering projects are delivered on time and within budget.
This role is critical to the success of our business: providing detailed, on-the-ground oversite and mentoring of the design team and allowing the CPI’s engineering and business management to set vision for engineering across the company and coordinate resource between different product teams.
YOU WILL BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR:
- Providing day-to-day leadership and technical guidance to small engineering teams as they develop new products and systems. Communicate project objectives, milestones, and timelines. Coordinate with team members to ensure project deliverables are met.
- Acting as the primary point of contact between CPI’s Directors of Engineering, Executive Management, and the individual engineering team members. Ensure clear and effective communication of goals, strategies, and expectations. Focused on solutions!
- Exhibiting an in-depth understanding of our engineering projects and technologies to provide informed insights and recommendations. Understand the big picture. Staying on top of current tools, technologies, and techniques and guide the team on staying competitive and relevant.
- Making independent decisions through consistent evaluation of the big picture of the design, continuous interactions with team and suggesting design trade-offs in our technical designs. Model good decisions through understanding the purpose and explaining rationale.
- Leading team by example in making good decisions, evaluating risk rationally, documenting design work and decisions, embracing new technologies, and continually improving organizational processes and design documentation.
- Providing guidance and mentorship to individual engineers to help them overcome challenges and develop their skills. Advocate for the tools and resources to enable your team’s success. Foster a positive and collaborative team environment which has a healthy and rational relationship with risk.
- Working collaboratively with Engineering Management and leadership from other product teams to promote common best-practices and the most efficient common tools throughout our organization. Identify non-value-add processes and seek to automate or remove. Contribute to vision and growth of the company.
- Addressing conflicts, bottlenecks, and issues within the engineering team promptly and effectively. Propose and implement solutions that resolve conflicts within the organization. Facilitate interactions between your team and other business stakeholders (e.g., supply chain, IT, etc.)
- Developing your team by providing feedback and input to motivate and support career growth and development. Identify training/skills gaps to enhance the company’s talent pool.
YOU ARE THE RIGHT PERSON FOR THIS JOB IF YOU HAVE:
- Proven experience as a senior engineer, project engineer, or in a similar engineering leadership role within a small to medium-sized engineering team.
- Strong general technical expertise in relevant engineering domains with the ability to understand complex interfaces between systems and different engineering disciplines.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills including the use of modern communications tools (e.g., Microsoft Teams, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate a team of engineers through vision, context, and explanation.
- Problem-solving and conflict-resolution abilities within a diverse and energetic team.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills using modern information organization and project management tools. (e.g., MS Project, Atlassian Trello and Confluence, etc.)
- A passion for thorough documentation of engineering design process artifacts, both hardware and software, including a functional working knowledge of software version control tools (e.g., GIT and Microsoft DevOps).
- Experience in the process of crafting solid, responsive technical proposals to potential customers, including a familiarity with a proposal review process.
- Ability to assess, support, mentor, and grow engineering talent in the RF, High Voltage, Power Supply, SW/FW, and Mechanical disciplines.
- Experience will aspects of the engineering product development lifecycle from concept development and system architecting through product lunch including supporting manufacturing operations.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, or other related engineering field. Advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum 7+ years of industry experience in design of electronic hardware including both design and team leadership capacities.
Must be able to meet all CGD requirements.
WHAT WE OFFER:
Whether you are a seasoned professional or just embarking on your career, CPI is an ideal place to expand your knowledge and expertise. We cultivate a healthy, dynamic, and team-oriented environment that empowers our employees to develop, create and deliver innovative, reliable technology solutions to power, connect, protect, and support a better tomorrow.
We offer our employees an attractive compensation package with competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits, including health and wellness programs, career development, generous retirement savings plan with company match and more!
WHO WE ARE:
We value the unique and diverse skills, qualities, and backgrounds that each employee brings to CPI, and we respect each employee as an integral member of our growing team. CPI is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all current and prospective employees, as well as to promoting a culture of inclusion and respect for everyone. We celebrate the innovation that diversity creates in the work environment, and we recognize that each employee brings their own unique capabilities, experiences, and perspectives to the organization. It is this variety that adds value to our teams, as well as to our stakeholders. We welcome and encourage applicants to reach their full potential with us.
CPI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability or other applicable legally protected characteristics.#J-18808-Ljbffr