Communications and Marketing Specialist, Huskie Athletics
The Communications and Marketing Specialist is passionate about sports, gets an adrenaline rush from the roar of the crowds and loves to tell the stories of extraordinary student-athletes, match-ups, history and tradition. This position will provide marketing and communications leadership and support to the development and implementation of innovative, impactful, and reliable communication content and storytelling to advance the reputation, priorities and goals of the University of Saskatchewan Huskie program.
Nature of Work:
Reporting to the Associate Athletics Officer, Development, in Huskie Athletics, the Communications and Marketing Specialist will also work closely with and report to the central communications’ leadership team.
The incumbent will work collaboratively with the central communications and Huskie Athletics in the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of internal and external communications and marketing initiatives that are designed to promote and raise the profile of the University of Saskatchewan Huskies and drive revenues.
The work requires both a creative and strategic approach in an evolving sport environment to elevate engagement, brand awareness and the Huskie priorities through compelling storytelling on various platforms and channels, including, but not limited to, social media, written copy, website content, photography, graphic design and video. The incumbent will demonstrate the ability to communicate and market effectively to a diverse audience and target market.
This position requires evening and weekend work.
Typical Duties or Accountabilities:
- Responsible for the development of the annual marketing strategy;
- Plans and creates storytelling opportunities utilizing the various University and Huskie platforms and assets;
- Develops strategic initiatives to engage USask students;
- Leads the communications and marketing work with internal stakeholders to further engage faculty, staff and USask students;
- Follows and upholds the university’s branding guidelines and ensures consistency of messaging across all channels;
- Keeps informed of evolving and changing social media platforms and best practices and provides strategic direction for how to incorporate those practices into their work;
- Leads marketing and advertising strategies, techniques and plans to drive ticket sales and external revenue to the University of Saskatchewan Huskies;
- Tracks and measures effort with Key performance indicators/indexes during communication and marketing campaigns and applies learnings to future initiatives;
- Integrates corporate sponsors into marketing, promotional and digital content campaigns in a compelling, organic and engaging manner;
- Builds collaborative relationships and partnerships within the University and with external stakeholders;
- Identify and connect with influencers;
- Other duties and responsibilities and/or supporting initiatives as required.
Education: An undergraduate degree, preferably in communications, marketing, journalism or related field. An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience, as well as non-traditional career paths, community experience, and recognition of prior learning may be considered.
Experience: Three to five years’ experience in communications and/or marketing, with a demonstrated level of responsibility, including developing and implementing strategic content and plans with internal and external audiences is required. Related experience in communications and marketing for a sports identity, or a similarly related organization is preferred. Knowledge of the University of Saskatchewan and a demonstrated passion for sports would be an asset.
- A thorough understanding of content creation and storytelling, executing and delivering visual and written materials, and experience in achieving and measuring results, impact and engagement.
- A thorough understanding of a variety of social media platforms, recognizing strategies used to engage with digital audiences, and knowledge of current trends and tools used by other successful creators.
- Ability to think and act strategically, creatively, and develop materials in a timely matter.
- Ability to inspire, adapt, create, and lead.
- Time management and the ability to handle multiple deadlines and shifting priorities.
- Effective interpersonal communications, with the capacity to build and maintain positive relationships with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as a team player
- Customer focused thinking
Department: Huskie Athletics
Employment Group: ASPA
Shift: Regular evening/weekend work is required.
Full Time Equivalent (FTE): 1.0
Salary: The salary range, based on 1.0 FTE, is $66,030.00 - 103,174.00 per annum. The starting salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Salary Family (if applicable): Specialist Professional
Salary Phase/Band: Phase 2
Posted Date: 2/6/2024
Closing Date: 2/20/2024 at 6:00 pm CST
Number of Openings: 1
Work Location: On Campus
The successful applicant will be required to provide the following current verification(s) where 'Yes' is indicated below. Further information is available at: https://careers.usask.ca/tips-for-applying.php
Criminal Record Check: Not Applicable
Driver's License and Abstract Check: Not Applicable
Education/Credential Verification: Not Applicable
Vulnerable Sector Check: Not Applicable