SOPFIM is looking for dynamic candidates to hold the position of Base Manager. We are looking for applicants with strong teamwork skills and for whom cooperation in our seasonal operations is key to achieving our objectives.
Who Are We?
Created in 1990, SOPFIM is a private, non-profit organization jointly administered by the Ministère des Ressources naturelles et des Forêts and the Quebec forest industry. It is the only organization recognized in the biological control of forest pests in Quebec.
- A team of passionate people that can go up to 300 persons during the spraying periods
- A wide range of responsibilities
- A stimulating working environment
- An intensive work schedule (an average of 10 hours a day, 7 days a week), with a short employment period (6 to 7 weeks), allowing you to carry out your personal projects for the rest of the summer.
Reporting to the Deputy Director of Operations, the Base Manager works as the manager of an assigned base of operations. Responsible for ensuring the smooth running of operations, he/she directs the work carried out by a group of spraying aircraft, assumes the link between the coordination and the base of operations, participates in the logistical organization as well as in the execution of the aerial spraying program in an efficient and safe manner.
Specifically, you will:
- Orchestrate the daily aerial spraying operations in collaboration with the team members
- Prepare work assignments for spray and surveillance aircraft
- Follow up on the spraying work and ensure that the mandate given is carried out
- Assist in the supervision of the work performed by the Aerial Supervisors and the Quality Control Manager
- Conduct weather analysis in collaboration with the aerial surveillance team
- Evaluate and record weather conditions collected in the area throughout the program
- Allow spray aircraft to take off based on weather conditions
- Ensure radio communication between in-flight and ground personnel
- Ensure compliance of spray aircraft
- Carry out the verification of the spraying missions using the software provided for this purpose.
- Competence with the various air navigation systems
- Sense of work organization and priority management
- Ability to manage stress
- Management skills
- Ability to adapt
- Autonomy and resourcefulness
- Knowledge or training in aviation
- Ability to communicate in English
- Personnel management skills.
Conditions Proposed by the SOPFIM team
- This is a 6 to 7 weeks position, more or less
- Work environment at one of the following airports: Dolbeau, Saint-Honoré, Forestville, Mont-Joli, Ste-Anne-des-Monts, Gaspé, Pabos, Bonaventure, Charlo, Amos and Val d'Or
- SOPFIM will cover the candidate's travel and living expenses for the duration of his employment (hotel, expense allowance, car, computer equipment, etc.)
- A competitive weekly salary
- The schedule for the position offered is established on shifts cut according to the possible operating windows during the day (the flight periods are planned by the base manager. They are of variable duration and are carried out according to the weather conditions)
- Start date: Second week of May for a training period. The spraying program will begin in late May and end on or about July 4, 2023.* These dates are subject to change depending on weather conditions
- We will prioritize candidates interested in returning over the years.
- The candidate must be available 7 days a week during the period of operations
- Able to travel regionally for the duration of the operation
- Possess relevant experience in the field of aviation.
The offer will be posted until all positions are filled.
This employer is an equal opportunity employer with an equal employment opportunity program for women, aboriginal peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities.